Note: links to the podcast on several services (iTunes, SoundCloud, Overcast etc.) are below the SoundCloud player – just scroll down.
Our first topic this week is the reviews for Google’s new Pixel C tablet, and what they signify about the state of Android. We also talk about the overall state of the tablet market and (the lack of) tablet-optimized operating systems. Our second topic is the decision by Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan to give the bulk of their wealth to causes they care about, which is the subject of our Question of the Week, “Is the Zuckerberg announcement really philanthropic?” We tap into Aaron’s expertise in the field of philanthropy and non-profit work to discuss the basics of various organizational structures and their tax implications, the pros and cons of the LLC structure the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative has adopted, and whether the gift is likely to be beneficial to society. Our last topic is the reporting in the last 24 hours or so before we recorded to the effect that Apple may be shelving its TV service plans for the time being. As usual, we wrap up with our Weekly Pick, which this week is a game recommendation from Aaron.
As ever, links to related content and to the podcast itself on various services can be found under the SoundCloud player below.
We invite listeners to submit questions for subsequent weeks in the comments below, on Twitter (@jandawson, @aaronmiller), or via email (jan at jackdawresearch dot com). We also now have a dedicated Podcast Twitter handle at @BDPcast.
Here are some useful links relating to this week’s episode:
- John Gruber’s post linking to several of the Pixel C reviews
- Episode 18 and Episode 8 of the podcast, in which we discussed Microsoft’s Surface products and Windows 10 respectively
- Episode 23 of the podcast, in which we discussed the iPad Pro reviews and in which Jan first raised the idea of padOS, something he later wrote up in this Techpinions piece
- Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan’s letter to their daughter, outlining their philanthropic plans
- Washington Post / Associated Press piece on the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, and also Felix Salmon’s piece on Fusion defending it
- The Grantwell program Aaron works on, which advises donors on philanthropic giving
- Peter Kafka’s Re/code piece on why Apple is shelving its TV service plans for now.
- Broken Age, the game Aaron recommended as his Weekly Pick, on the iOS App Store (it’s also available for a variety of other platforms).
Please leave us a comment or get in touch via Twitter to give us feedback. We’d love to hear from you. Also, we’d love it if you would leave a review of the podcast on iTunes.