We’re back on our normal schedule for this week’s News Roundup episode, and back to covering three distinct topics. This week those are: Snap’s disappointing earnings and the proposed changes to the product and strategy there; Twitter’s broader rollout of the 280 character limit and criticism over its use of user verification, and Aaron and Jan’s first impressions of the iPhone X, which we’ve both been using for a few days now.
As always, you’ll find links to these stories and other things we discussed underneath the SoundCloud player embedded below.
Here are some useful links relating to this week’s episode (Tech Narratives links unless otherwise stated):
- Snap Earnings Release: https://investor.snap.com/news-releases/2017/11-07-2017-211621749
- Jan’s Snap analysis: https://techpinions.com/snapchats-strategic-failure/51554
- The Hard Thing About Hard Things – Ben Horowitz (Amazon affiliate link): http://amzn.to/2yoTsAV
- Business Insider on Snap redesign plans: http://www.businessinsider.com/snapchat-redesign-planned-for-december-4-2017-11
- Twitter 280 blog post: https://blog.twitter.com/official/en_us/topics/product/2017/tweetingmadeeasier.html
- Jony Ive Wallpaper interview: https://www.wallpaper.com/design/jony-ive-apple-park
Please leave us a comment or get in touch via Twitter to give us feedback. We’d love to hear from you. You can reach the individual hosts on Twitter (@jandawson, @aaronmiller), or via email (jan at jackdawresearch dot com). We also have a dedicated Podcast Twitter handle at @BDPcast. And we’d love it if you would leave a review of the podcast on iTunes or in your podcast app of choice.