This is the week’s News Roundup episode. We’d hoped to have a Question of the Week for you too, but we had a technical hitch in recording and it’ll be out at some point in the next couple of weeks instead, with a deep dive on Apple earnings as usual next week. For today, we cover two other companies’ earnings: Twitter and Amazon. Both offered more of the same, albeit in very different ways, with Twitter seeing more revenue declines and anemic user growth, while Amazon posted rapid growth but a big drop in margins. We also talk about Apple’s culling of the iPod line and the iPod’s historical significance, and Adobe’s announcement of the end of life for Flash.
As always, you’ll find links to these stories and other things we discussed underneath the SoundCloud player embedded below.
Here are some useful links relating to this week’s episode (Tech Narratives links unless otherwise stated):
- GoPro and Fitbit earnings:
1. GoPro earnings release: https://investor.gopro.com/press-releases/press-release-details/2017/GoPro-Announces-Second-Quarter-2017-Results/default.aspx
2. Jan’s take: https://www.technarratives.com/2017/08/03/gopro-recovery-continues-in-q2-but-still-losing-money-well-off-past-highs/
3. Fitbit earnings release: https://investor.fitbit.com/press/press-releases/press-release-details/2017/Fitbit-Reports-353M-in-Revenue-Sells-34M-Devices-in-Q217-Up-14-Sequentially/default.aspx
4. Jan’s take: https://www.technarratives.com/2017/08/02/fitbit-reports-more-shipment-revenue-declines-losses-in-q2/
- Facebook hardware:
1. Bloomberg report: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-01/facebook-is-said-to-work-on-video-chat-device-in-hardware-push
2. Jan’s take: https://www.technarratives.com/2017/08/01/★-facebook-reportedly-working-on-video-chat-device-voice-speaker/
- iPhone leaks:
1. Mac Rumors: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/07/30/homepod-firmware-face-detection/
Jan’s take: https://www.technarratives.com/2017/07/31/iphone-design-and-feature-details-show-up-in-homepod-firmware/
- Market share numbers:
1. Jan’s take: https://www.technarratives.com/2017/08/03/tablet-and-wearables-numbers-for-q2-show-rise-of-chinese-vendors/
Jan also mentioned his recent podcast episode on Samsung with Bernard Leong on Analyse Asia – that episode can be found here.
Please leave us a comment or get in touch via Twitter to give us feedback. We’d love to hear from you. You can reach the individual hosts on Twitter (@jandawson, @aaronmiller), or via email (jan at jackdawresearch dot com). We also have a dedicated Podcast Twitter handle at @BDPcast. And we’d love it if you would leave a review of the podcast on iTunes or in your podcast app of choice.