This week’s News Roundup episode focused on three major news items, plus one smaller related one. First up, we discuss the European Commission’s action against Google over Google Shopping integration in search, including a 2.4 billion Euro fine. Secondly, we discuss Facebook’s announcement of 2 billion monthly active users and its significance, as well as a subtle shift recently in Facebook’s focus. In the context of those two items about giant companies, we also talk briefly about the Canadian Supreme Court’s ruling that Google needs to take down links in search to IP-infringing product listings not just in Canada but globally and the ramifications of that ruling. Lastly, we discuss both the formal reviews released this week of Amazon’s Echo Show and Jan’s own first impressions on using the device for a couple of days.
As always, you’ll find links to these stories and other things we discussed underneath the SoundCloud player embedded below.
Here are some useful links relating to this week’s episode:
- Google & EU:
- Jan’s Tech Narratives piece (no paywall): https://www.technarratives.com/2017/06/27/eu-fines-google-e2-4bn-2-7bn-over-favoring-google-shopping-in-search-results/
- The EU’s announcement: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-17-1784_en.htm
- Facebook’s 2 Billion:
- Jan’s Tech Narratives piece: https://www.technarratives.com/2017/06/27/facebook-hits-2-billion-monthly-active-users/
- Jan’s longer blog post (no paywall): https://medium.com/beyond-devices/facebooks-first-second-and-third-billions-2dffc63e20e7
- Canadian Supreme Court ruling against Google:
- CNET article: https://www.cnet.com/news/google-must-yank-search-results-globally-says-canada-court/
- Amazon Echo Show reviews:
- Jan’s review:
- Tech Narratives piece: https://www.technarratives.com/2017/06/26/★-amazon-echo-show-reviews-suggest-solid-performance-limitations-creepy-factor/
- Techmeme: http://www.techmeme.com/170626/p8#a170626p8
- Jan’s review:
- Jan mentioned the new Tech Narratives Podcast, which offers a daily roundup of the big tech news on weekdays. You can find it on SoundCloud here, iTunes here, and Overcast here, and which should be available in many other podcast apps too.
Please leave us a comment or get in touch via Twitter to give us feedback. We’d love to hear from you. You can reach the individual hosts on Twitter (@jandawson, @aaronmiller), or via email (jan at jackdawresearch dot com). We also have a dedicated Podcast Twitter handle at @BDPcast. And we’d love it if you would leave a review of the podcast on iTunes or in your podcast app of choice.